Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Taylored Expressions February Studio Challenge! 8-)


Hi All! And a Very Happy Tuesday to you! 8-) It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge. This is a monthly opportunity for the Taylored Expressions team to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we  have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more.


The question for February is:
Recipe for success!  When you sit down to create a card just for fun, for the pure joy of stamping, without any type of assignment or deadline, what steps do you usually take?
Tell us how you get started and take us along on your creative journey.

Oohh! What a Super Question! 8-)  It can be such a rare occurrence in my Crafty space to find the time to create something just for the sheer fun of it, but I always Love it when I get to!! ;-) AND.. It just so happens I had just such an occasion right before Valentines day... I had been dying to try out the Chalkboard technique that's all the rage right now and a cool BG idea I got from the Fabulously talented Kristina Werner & her Fun card HERE...So I thought it would be the Perfect 'just for fun project' to share my creative journey with you all, don't ya think?.. ;-)
Well, I know Valentine's Day has already come and gone, but if you have read any of my previous posts, you know I am a Sucker for all things hearts, etc.. So to me the Whole month of February is for Valentines!! lol ;-)  And for once, I actually had more than enough Valentines to go around, so I kind of made these last 4 just for the fun of it! 8-)  And usually when I create something just for fun, it's cause I have an idea burning away in the back of my brain, or a technique I want to try, just like this time... :-)
My next step after that is to maybe do a little internet research on the technique, if I'm really not to sure about it, so I can at least do it justice, lol Good places I've found for technique tutorials are Split Coast Stampers, You Tube, and the ever addictive Pinterest! 8-)My next step would then be to pick my dp's and stamps I want to work with to make my ideas come to life. And lastly, I just plain roll up my sleeves and get Krafty!...;-)
I really had a lot of fun putting these together, and I've already got more ideas for similar style cards for different occasions down the road too... 8-)  For my focal panels, I first lightly smudged my black CS with Frost White Color box ink , and **Very importantly, used my embossing buddy BEFORE stamping TE's Graphic Greetings Valentine image also with Frost White Colorbox ink, and then embossed it with white EP. (The Embossing buddy helps prevent the Embossing powder from sticking anywhere else but the stamped image..) Oh, and I added a bit more white ink smudges after embossing just for good measure..8-) I matted my images up with red CS from my stash and popped them up with a bit of foam tape.  My  BG card bases were created Kraft CS, TE's Cupids Arrows dies and the Pretty MME Lost & Found 3 Rubby 6x6 Collection.. And to finish them all up I just added cute little heart buttons from my stash all tied up with a combo of Ladybug Doodle twine and Natural Burlap twine as well. Pretty easy peasy!...8-)

Be sure to stop by and check out what the rest of the Baker's Dozen has whipped up for you today..



Hope you all have a Fabulous day & Thanks so much for visiting! 8-)
Thanks for stopping by!

29 comments:

  1. What cute cards, Shannon! That BG looks like so much FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous, Shannon!! Love the chalkboard technique and you've made some stunning background papers!! Have a nice evening, Colinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my little ladybug! GORGEOUS cards for today! Loved seeing that shot of your desk and getting a taste of your creative process. Isn't this a fun challenge? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous Shannon. Love the stamp and the background paper too
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are awesome! Love the chalkboard tecnique! The white looks fabulous on black. The die-cut hearts look so pretty Shannon! Hope your V-day was full of LOVE! Need a little up-date on your life girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute and even retro. I don't think I've seen a "black" board in a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards, Shannon! Love all the sweet die cuts and your chalkboard word art focal image! You can never have too many lovey dovey cards in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dsp you die cut all those hearts with! They look great on kraft and so does that blackboard technique! I love those big white bold letters! NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous cards! So graphic and visually interesting! Love the chalkboard technique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable, and as clever as ever Shannon! hugs, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE coming to your blog Shannon and today was no exception. :-) This is just AMAZING how you created your own background with dies!!! I so want to try this chalkboard technique but am afraid!!!!!!!!!!! You need to teach me. I wish we lived closer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great stamp, Shannon, and a wonderful way of using it, too! Nothing beats white pigment ink! So pretty with that kraft color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE THIS!! I'm so glad I have this stamp, it's so fun and I love how you've used the chalkboard technique with it. Adorable card. Using that stamp with that technique is definitely on my to do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go girl! Valentine's past or not this is a fabulous project. The die cuts make the cutest background and you've nailed the chalkboard technique that's so hot right now. Thanks for sharing this with us Shannon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Creations Shannon, I love the pretty background dp you made and the chalkboard technique is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon, you are the Queen of creating masterpieces! These Valentines are amazing using the chalkboard technique! Love the contrast too...it really grabs you and says, "Love me please!" *teehee* Hugs sweet woman! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your chalkboard technique, these are so super cute. Now I have to try one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super CUTE, Shannon! LOVE the heart buttons and the chalkboard effect! You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a clever way to us this stamp, your card is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look at you, Shannon! I swear, you're so productive! Color me impressed with your cool background and making four at once!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, what a fabulous technique, Shannon! I love how you created the background with the hearts too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Wow! these are wonderful Shannon!! the chalkboards look so fab… love the stamp! :-)) and the hearts and twine/buttons look so gorgeous… they are fab design hun!!
    Hope you are having a good week!
    Big hugs
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy smokes Shannon! What a gorgeous collection of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to try this technique. Love the background you created.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, these are awesome Shannon!! I LOVE that chalkboard technique and all of your fantastic hearts!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon, these are ADORABLE!! I LOVE how you did the background with all the hearts! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super FUN cards using the chalkboard technique...fab job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great stamp, great technique, and super cute background! That's what I call crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so so cute, Shannon! I love the chalkboard technique and your heart backgrounds are perfect with all the different patterned papers!

    ReplyDelete

I truly Love receiving your comments, they always make me smile... Thanks so much for taking the time to visit today... 8-)